Monday, December 1, 2008

Excuse Me?

This morning at school, I was talking to one of the kindergarten boys about his new haircut. It was one of the strangest cuts I've seen on a white kid, so I asked him who cut it. He told me that his grandpa took him to the barbershop to get it done. We talked for a minute more about it, then something I was totally unprepared for came out of his mouth: "You know where else my grandpa took me? To the bar." Uhhh, yeah. I wasn't sure I heard right, so I asked him again. And he repeated it again. Wondering just what a five year old does in bar, I asked him. He said he drank a water while his grandpa had a beer. WHAT?!?!?! First of all, show me grandpa, because I'd like to punch him in the face, second of all: why do you take a five year old to a bar? Who lets five year olds into bars?! I was totally stunned. And appalled. And really, REALLY wanted to say something to his mom this afternoon when she picked him up (because he told me that grandpa told him not to tell her). Seriously.

2 comments:

annaelyse said...

wow. yeah. does that fall into the "i have to tell someone legally" category? just curious...

Becky said...

technically, no. All we are mandated to report is abuse.