Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Details, Anyone?

I just got this email from Josh, my US contact with Food for the Hungry. It made me really excited, and set in the reality of this trip. And scared me abit, because I've never taught English (even though I work in a school where English isn't the native language!).

***
Becky,

Good day, how are you doing? I wanted to update you on the teaching supplies situation . . . . here are some suggestions:

Teaching tools are limited in Ethiopia. They have chalk boards, flip charts and that's about it. There are a variety of books in the library, but if you have your mind on something specific, please bring it. There aren't any reading books for elementary students.

It would be essential that you be prepared for teaching groups of children in basic english/grammar and reading.

If you would like crayons and other "fun" things, we suggest that you also bring that with you.

You will have the opportunity to teach the social workers in some english as well. In this area, the focus needs to be in writing: mainly the Child's Annual Progress Report- as the social workers are expected to write a paragraph for each one. This would be a good opportunity to fine tune their skills in this area.

Another recent suggestion is that you could also be involved with teaching english to English Teachers. I know this sounds weird, but trust me, their english could improve.

**
I have to say, I'm most excited about being able to teach the social workers (who are all local Zeway-ans) English that will help them communicate to us about the children we sponsor. It looks like I'm in for an amazing summer!

Pray:

-that God will begin to equip me in not only what I need to be teaching this summer, but how to teach it - confidently.

1 comment:

annaelyse said...

i think we need to hit up some garage sales for kids books! I'm pring that as details come in, they bring more PEACE and not ANXIETY! freaking LOVE you!!!