Saturday, February 2, 2008

Letters

I received letters today from Masresha and Burtukan, the two girls I sponsor in Zeway. It always excites me to get them, but especially today - Food for the Hungry has every child write a thank you letter to their sponsor each year. Masresha (who is 6), drew a couple of pictures and her social worker translated the following:

"I would love to express my appreciation to you - it is because of you that I am getting school stationary, school fee, food aid, and mosquito net. I have gotten all this in this year, and I want to say thank you."

It is these letters that remind me of the importance of sponsoring these kids. It was amazing to meet Sintayehu, and it's great to write letters to them, but to be reminded (both by letter and to physically see) that they are getting things they need - their school fees being paid, mosquito nets to prevent malaria, and food assistance - that is the true joy. Their needs are being met because of my mere $28 a month. Incredible.

If you are interested in finding out more about sponsoring a child through Food for the Hungry, please click here.

No comments: