Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Absolutely Unfathomable

This post has nothing to do with my trip, but has everything to do with God's faithfulness, and the ways that He is quietly whispering His love...

I had dinner with a friend tonight - as we talked about our families, she began to tell me about how her parents are foster parents, and the struggles they had at the beginning with their current foster kids. As she continued to tell me about the kids, she told me how malnourished the 7 year old was when she first came into the home. I remarked that we had a child like that last year at my school, and I could relate to the situation. In the very next sentence, Katie used the name of the foster child. I looked at her, and asked her where these kids were from, thinking all the while "the chances of this being the same child is VERY slim," but curious nonetheless, because of the similarities. As she told me where these kids were from, at the same time, we said the same full name. This little girl, who I have wondered about for the past year (she was taken out of her home...long story, unfit mother), has all of a sudden reappeared on the horizon of my life. I never would have dreamed that she would end up in a christian home, much less in the home of a friend of mine! As Katie and I talked and shared stories about this little girl, I couldn't help but cry - it was yet another reminder that God is in control of everything - not that I've ever really even doubted that, but for it to show up in my face was monumental in that moment. Over the past week, God continues to remind me of His goodness, His faithfulness, His love. I can't tell you how many times in the past year I've wondered about this little girl - what happened, where she ended up, and if she was put back into her home. We had no connections, no contact whatsoever with this girl, or her current school. I got to feed her breakfast in the mornings, and snacks in the afternoons, and was able to see her go from a scared little girl, to a girl whose face lit up when she laughed. In a matter of moments tonight, God reminded me of His faithfulness to hear and answer our prayers - not just for ourselves, or our friends, but for people in our lives who constantly live in the margins of our society: people we dare to ask big things for, people who need us to show up in ther lives and make wrong things right.

2 comments:

Stewart Family said...

hey, i like the new count down meter! great idea! celebrating all of God's grace and provision to you and to our friends in Ethiopia!

Unknown said...

I just read this blog. It totally made me cry. Yes I cried about it again. I am so glad that we are able to know where she is and know that she is in a great place. I have wondered for soo long.