Saturday, May 30, 2009

strange thrills

For the past few weeks, I've been reading a book called The Union Station Massacre: The Original Sin of J. Edgar Hoover's FBI. It gives great insight into the 1933 massacre that happened at Union Station in Kansas City. Several times, the author has mentioned of a permanent marking from a stray bullet that hit the building during the shooting. And me being me, I've had a great interest in finding it. I drove down to Union Station this morning (amid all the Rockfest goers, no less), and within minutes had found the marking (it helps that they have a plaque right next to it). I admit that it's strange, but it was incredible to touch the marking, to know that it owned so much history in our town. The book is highly recommended, and of course, checking out the site is, too!

Click here for the FBI recount of the massacre.

1 comment:

jordanne said...

I JUST picked up that book at borders a few weeks ago. I didn't buy it but stood there for a long time reading through it and you are right- it WAS interesting! Keep me posted and teach me what you learn :)